POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista and POV-Ray : Re: Vista and POV-Ray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 06:33:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista and POV-Ray
From: Carl
Date: 23 Apr 2007 23:10:02
Message: <web.462d73a7892b73208f2f42670@news.povray.org>
"Eudy Silva" <eud### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> I just got POV-Ray 3.61c to do animations under Vista (Home Premium here).
> Here's what I did, hope it works for you also:
> Go to the directory where PORay was installed, enter the "bin" subdirectory,
> right click on "pvengine.exe" and choose "Properties".
> Under the "Compatibility" tab, mark the checkbox for "Disable visual
> themes",
> then click teh OK button.
> That did the trick for me.
>
> HTH
>
> Eudy

THANK YOU!!!!  I have POV-Ray 3.6.1c and I've got Vista Ultimate.  Before I
saw your post I uninstalled POV-Ray and reinstalled it again.  This time I
installed it to:

C:UsersCarlPOV-Ray for Windows v3.6

(There are a couple back slashes in there that I don't expect to show up
when thos post goes through... not sure why.)

I can now edit and save the ini file without having to run notepad as an
administrator.  However I still couldn't use any of the animation options
without POV-Ray just coming back and saying (Not Responding).  I had ran
POV-Ray as an adminstrator and I changed the compatability tab to windows xp
sp2.  Neither had any effect.  If I tried both together I never got the (Not
Responding) message but it did hang up.  I then unselected the windows xp
sp2 compatability option and tried your "Disable visual themes" option and
it WORKED!!!  Nothing even had to be ran as an administrator.  I don't have
a clue why that worked but it did and I'm happy.

Is this a bug I should report?

Thank you again,
Carl